Sunday, June 15, 2008

Elizabeth Barrett Browning 1806-1861

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was an inspiration to female writers and was the most celebrated woman of the Victorian era. She was raised in a wealthy family and the eldest of eleven children. Her poetry started at an early age and when she became ill after the death of her brother it was her poetry that sustained her spirit. While courting Robert Browning and as their relationship developed, she wrote a series of the most beautiful love poems that I have ever read. It was as if she was about to die, as stated in these words, "Guess now who holds thee?-Death, I said" (page 530, line 13 in Sonnet 1), until Robert came along as stated in the words, "But, there, the silver answer rang, - Not Death, but Love" (page 530, line 13 in Sonnet 1) and rescued her from death with his love.

In Sonnet 21, from "Sonnets from the Portuguese", the author wrote,

"Say over again, and yet once over again,
That thou doest love me. Though the word repeated
Should seem "a cuckoo-song" as thou does treat it,
Remember, never to the hill or plain. Valley and wood, without her cuckoo-strain
Comes the fresh Spring in all her green completed." (page 530, lines 1-6)

The main theme in these lines is, can you say I love you too many times or can there be too many I love you. From this sonnet the author is saying no there cannot be too many I love you. These words she compared to that of the cuckoo-song; cuckoo, cuckoo cuckoo.... The cuckoo song is one of repetition and to some after a time it might be very annoying; whereas to others it is the most beautiful song. Notes are so sweet and perfect, simple top-note and soft fall (cuc..koo) reminding people of how someone stole their heart and for this author I think the latter was the case. The author then gives us an imagery of what it is like when Spring is approaching. Here she mentioned the cuckoo, one of the first bird that appears with Spring after the dreary winter months. The trees are once again green, the air is filled with the aroma of flowers all signifying new birth. This was not only happening in nature but this new birth, this vigour and energy was also happening in her life having met Robert. In her words, "Beloved, I, amid the darkness greeted, by a doubtful spirit-voice, in that doubt's pain cry "Speak once more- thou lovest! Who can fear" (page 530-531), conveying this sense of security and contentment by just hearing the words "I love you". The author is saying, to her it is okay to be repetitive. It was these words that brought her out of bed, out of her illness and save her from her family especially her father who was against her loving Robert.

"Too many stars, though each in heaven shall roll,
Too many flowers , though each shall crown the year?
Say thou dost love me, love me, love me-toll
The silver iterance- only minding, Dear,
To love me also in silence with thy soul." (page 531, lines 10-14)

In these lines the author compares the many I love yous to the too many stars and too many flowers. The stars though they are many, each has its purpose in the sky and the flowers though they be many, every year are a welcoming sight, so it is with the many I love yous. You can't have too many I love you . However, the author mentioned in these words "Only minding, Dear to love me also in silence with thy soul" to suggest that the person who is saying the I love yous should be careful about not just saying those words but they should come from the very fiber of their being. These I love yous must come from the soul, which is the most important part of a person's existence. In other words the author is saying you should mean what you say.

I really, really enjoyed this sonnet, Sonnet 21 from "Sonnets from the Portuguese." It shows the power of love and how wonderful it is to the hearer when the words "I love you" is repeated. Especially when it is not done mechanically but from the heart and soul, the very fiber of your existence. Even when words cannot be uttered there is such confidence knowing that I love you is being said internally.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Anthony,

Excellent post on Barrett Browning, with great attention to one particular sonnet. I like the way you extensively analyze and discuss the specific passages you quote. Your response to the poem clearly shows how engaged you are with the text.

Keep up the good work!